Monday, January 5, 2015

High Altitude Leopard... and every rupee counts right now...


This is Asa at nearly 3100m.  We ended up going as high as we could go to over that altitude.  I found the young leopard at about 2700m earlier in the day while I did a food drop at just over 2800m.  My own day had started at 2000m so that after nine hours on the go, much of it with a leopard, I slept well last night.

Today marks 48 weeks since I met Asa.  I'll blog in a couple of days explaining just how the strategy is working but right now I have to ready myself for more longish treks managing camera traps so as to better understand the leopard's area.

Asa is in fantastic shape.  He seems to be coping with the conditions and cold in his stride.  There is more and more evidence that tracks and kill activity previously thought to be snow leopards are in fact leopards. My study with Asa is adding to this, confirming a thinking I've had for over four years now.

I try to move into Asa's direct territory every two to four days, I keep it varied.  As I'll say I'll explain more soon, these days are very physical as well as mentally intense but are worth every effort for the knowledge being obtained.  We have to know more about these animals and sadly just lately there have been more conflict situations resulting in both human and leopard deaths.  This only makes me more determined.

And I need gear!  This project is really demanding on equipment plus the growing expenses just to keep things going.  Vital photographic equipment has really taken a bashing and just things like storm proof clothing as well as the expense of getting food to Asa while he is still in the hunting learning phase, well, the bills add up.  If you can see your way clear to sharing this post and directing people to www.wildtiger.org where they can link to Mountaintiger Photography I'd really appreciate it.  Every rupee counts right now through this crucial winter period and your help aids the saving of lives, both people and wildlife as well as the vital protection of habitat.  Cheers Jack.


Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...